Monday, March 17, 2014

Birth of a Renaissance Mama

Being philosophical here...

I wonder if the growing movement of homeschooling is the Renaissance of learning and culture in the Modern ages.  My peers that I connect with, have the same goal, we want to groom our children into Renaissance Men (children). We feel that we want to leave the "dark ages" of institutionalized education and their desire to "teach to pass the test" and "pump and dump" mentality and create an environment that nurtures the love of learning and culture.  
     So, what is a Modern Renaissance Man?  Is it a "person" who knows a lot about many different subjects?  My personal goal, when mentoring my son, is to guide him in learning all about the world all around him.  I expose him to the arts and music, Latin, science, great leaders and history, and modern technology.  We spend a great deal of time researching,  creating,  exploring and trying new things, and I would like to share with you our experiences.  
     I am a stay at home mom who has been homeschooling my son since birth.  I have a background in high school and college in Early Childhood Education.  I loved ECE because instead of feeling the pressure of tests and making sure children met standards, it was a time to explore, create and imagine.  Everything in life was a "wonder" to them, I remember when my son had a strange fascination with the washing machine, he would love to just stand there and watch and feel everything the machine did.
  As his mom, I just watched patiently, and enjoyed the delight I saw in his face.  Everything was new to him and if allowed, he would explore everything until he was completely satiated!  I "try" to approach homeschooling in the same manner, to let his natural curiosity lead his way.  I am not saying that we do not do the drudge work, but I emphasis the creative achievements and the love of learning.                                                                Latin is a growing language, especially among home schoolers, but also the passion for the arts and music are being reignited. We treasure music in this household and my son is exposed to opera and classical music on a daily basis. I looked at public schools curriculum and I am not fond of the material that they present, but I teach my son about the greatest minds in history, to inspire him. I teach him a great deal about Ancient history and great civilizations! Then I pursue STEM, because I am training my son to enter the work force as a professional, not a worker.
     When I talk to people that are on the fence about homeschooling I find that they already have the same dreams and desires for their children, I am new at blogging, and I promise that with time I will get better.  But I hope that you might enjoy the journey with us and we might inspire you too, to develope a generation of Renaissance Men (and girls of course).  I have so much to share and a great deal of passion for learning. 
     I am always open to ideas and encourage new thoughts and ideas.  Please feel free to share.  This path that we take with our children, speaking as a homeschooling mother, is difficult and I love to learn from other mothers how to make this an enjoyable experience.  Please feel free to ask questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment