Thursday, April 10, 2014

Take a Lesson From Your Kid

I don't have much time to write this because I really need to get back to my studying..  My teacher is pretty tough and I have a Minecraft exam later on! WOW! How am I going to remember the Minecraft Table of Elements, mining rare elements, how to make a stone shelter , stove and armor, all about Minecraft animals and their enemies like skeletons, zombies, Endermen and the dreaded Enderdragon!  I am feeling the pressure!  But my son is a pretty darn good teacher!

I love my son and every time he has a new fascination, I get an education!   And honestly, I am not going to lie to you, I love it!

My favorite part of my Minecraft education is to watch my son glow!  It's definitely a bonding moment that we share!  He loves to get to share his passion with me and he relishes the experience of "being the teacher"!  And the hugs and kisses are a definite bonus!

But I wouldn't be a Renaissance Mama if I didn't admit the intellectual processing my son develops is just as important to me.  Its a great opportunity to encourage more reading .  He reads many of his books to me and he stops and discusses the content with me, explaining it to me and asks questions.  When he teaches it helps him to internalize the material.  Studies have proven the best way to learn is to teach the information.  I love that teaching me also encourages him to organize and verbalize his thoughts.

And, what lesson would be complete without tests! Test making requires that he understands the material, can form questions, and I love that it is an opportunity to encourage writing.  So even if your child's latest obsession makes you want to run away with your fingers in your ears and singing "La, la, la, la, lahhhhh" your involvement  in their passions will not only mean the world to them, and develop loving and tender moments, but you will also be helping them to intellectually grow, think and learn.

Think out of the box.
Show your child you value them.
And build loving memories

Nothing says "I love you" more then letting them share their passions

No comments:

Post a Comment