Saturday, April 5, 2014

I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a geeky mom!

Spring is in the air, and being the Renaissance Mama that I am , I have an experiment that still gives me the giggles!  I have been doing this experiment for years and considering I have been in Early Childhood Education for almost 30 years, that IS a long time!  And I daydream of the day that I am holding my dear little grandchild and we are giggling at this little experiment!  Yes, everyone loves the flowers in the dye experiment.  What is not to love?!? Flowers, color and science! What a awesome combination!


This year we decided to go with white tulips, some years I have used daffodils or carnations, or even celery.  We used lots of food coloring in a little water to make it go faster, you could see the changes within 15 minutes and we let it sit over night.  I also added leaves, to show veins in those also.



And WAHHHLAAAHH!!!

You have a beautiful centerpiece!  I have to admit, every Valentines day I say no to the store bought flowers.  But I am a sucker for hand picked flowers and these very special bouquets!!!

BUT that's not all, there is more!  As a Renaissance mama, I try to get the most for my buck, so then we open one up and dissect and label all the part of the flower.  We have tried this year to hand pollinate them, add food to the water and see if we can get the ovaries to continue to grow and we will dissect that too!

But of course, as always.  I just love spending the time with my son building loving memories.  I hope that one day my children will look back on their childhoods and get a kick out of such goofy but fun experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment