Thursday, April 17, 2014

You Had Me At "Amado Mio"

I remember it like it was yesterday, my husband and I were playing pool and drinking beer at the Eastside Pub in downtown Olympia and out of the jukebox China Forbes belted out "Amado Mio" and I fell in love completely!  I had to have Sympathique by Pink Martini!!!  They are an amazing band from Portland Oregon, amazing artistic voices and a amazing orchestra!  Oh it was candy for the ears of this  Renaissance mama! "They are a cohesive blend of Cuban, French, Greek, Japanese, Italian, classical and Brazilian music" perfectly remarked a reviewer on Amazon.
They have produced many more albums, not as romantic as the first one, but having a son, I fell in love with their style.  I loved how they played music spanning many cultures and languages, some I loved, but I admit there is a Japanese song that kinda is out of my range.  They would play many instrumental pieces, jazzy pieces and classic children songs like Que cera, cera.  I even love 2 song off of Splendor in the Grass where there is a female song and a male song in response.  Only one song has made me raise an eyebrow, and that is about a cross dressing DA in Bitty Boppy Betty, but it is cute!


Even though their latest album Dream a little dream is not my favorite, I like the feel of the CD.  This CD has the Von Trapps grandchildren, and not as much of Pink Martini style that I like.  But culturally, I really like the influence of the Von Trapp children for my son.  I like the feel of the songs that come from all over the world, like Ireland, Sweden, Japan, France and Rwanda. 

AND do not worry, all this cultured music, and my husband is sure to round out our son with Pixies, Decemberist, Nirvana and more.  All children need a well rounded musical education!

No comments:

Post a Comment