Saturday, April 12, 2014

You sunk my battleship!

It's Saturday morning and instead of being seated in front of Saturday morning cartoons, my son is building his very own battleship with his tinker toys!  I just love to sit and drink my coffee and watched him engaged in his play.

It does not bother me one bit that he is trying to destroy the Japanese fleet, I smile with pleasure as he adds one gun after another.  This is a time where I get to just sit and watch  the recent book that we have been reading being internalized.  I can hear the vocabulary and the information he just learned streaming out in his play and I am so very happy and content!  He IS getting it.  I love "play" because it is also a chance for me to see what he loves and it gives me ideas of what direction to go, what kind of books to introduce him to.  With my son, I have found that he loves military history, whenever he reads a book about anything war or military, it will show up in his play.  Some books we read, I never ever hear a peep about.  To me this is not a good sign , because I am a firm believer that THE CHILD should be passionate about what they learn.  And right now we are reading What Was Pearl Harbor.  The "What Was"and  "Who was/is" series is AWESOME!
My son is a 2nd grader though they are rated for 3rd graders.  But they give you the perfect amount of information for a starter book and for the adults who have been out of school for a little while, these are PERFECT!  Quick and easy read with the perfect amount of information.  There are so many books in this series to choose from.  My son just recently read "Who was Davy Crockett" and "What was the Alamo" and for weeks he was running around with coon skin caps and building forts!  I hope that you will enjoy these books as much as we do!

Please join me at "Raising a Renaissance man" on Facebook and like our page.   I would love to meet many families of future Renaissance Men!

No comments:

Post a Comment